Tuesday, April 06, 2010

The Great Outdoor Challenge #3- A Simple Little Chat

We are participating in The Great Outdoor Challenge and a challenge it has been. We have statewide testing going on at school this week. I had two meetings tonight and both of the older girls had music lessons this afternoon. There seriously was little time to spend outside.

Even so, we decided to take a few minutes and share the moments of our day on the pond swing with a mug of hot chocolate.  The girls told me their frustrations about testing and I told them mine. Cali got up and down a few times to pick up some magical stick or rock or other thing she thought would be lovely for a future project. And we just huddled and talked and then laughed and enjoyed our cup of warm cocoa. 

I took pictures, I always do. In fact, half the time, I don't think they even notice. Once they do, they get silly and pose for shots like this.




This is my favorite picture tonight.  As my oldest daughter talked I sat across from her and watched her mannerisms. She looked so grown from this angle, the way she held her cup and crossed legs. I could easily imagine having a conversation with her many years from now, a young adult contemplating her future. 
While this challenge isn't always easy I'm finding it's bringing us together. And we are taking a minute or two each day to linger, study, observe and appreciate the world around us. I guess it means it's a game we're winning.

These folks are winning too. If you'd like to see how others meet this challenge head-on, check them out.

Visit the other Great Outdoor Challenge players-
lisa, sanders, angelina, phyllis, sarah, christie, jennifer, debbie,dong dong, denise,luisa, joy, stephanie,
cori, alex, dawn, kristen, catherine, tricia,becky, christy, ruth, kari, courtney, branflakes,jessica, renee,
haiku, brynn, amy, clemencia, sherry, leslie, lise, renee, Janet, jenn, marina, amy, ella, marcia, karen, beth,
julie, kyndale,kelly, lizzie, eileen,ag,

4 comments:

5orangepotatoes said...

Woo hoo you got it copied!

Seriously a challenge for you up there, with the cold too, easy for us b/c the temps are in the 70's ;). I love how you worked out challenge last night.

lisa

5orangeptotoes said...

hmmmm, so the links don't work....darn it!

Rana said...

What a great way to spend and evening. I love your daughters boots. Those are sharp!

5orangepotatoes said...

Christie, do you mind if I snag one of the 3 girl pics to post on my site as an Outdoor Challenge participant of the day. I want to show everybody that the cold weather shouldn't stop ya from going out. This post is the BEST example of that!