Friday, April 09, 2010

The Great Outdoor Challenge #4- Snakes in the Grass

It's a different world we live in. Alaska is a beautiful place but it is cold.  For a long time. We are still at mid 30's all day long. We really only have 2 seasons. Winter and Summer. We have a short late Spring but it feels like winter. It's where we are right now. When Summer is winding down we move into Fall that lasts until early October.  Every now and again, we get a lucky year and have a warm Spring. Autumn might even keep Winter at bay for a little longer some years but it is very rare.

This Outdoor Challenge we are participating in is really a challenge because it's hard to continue to drag yourself outside in the sunshine yet still be incredibly cold. We are tired of wearing snow pants and winter coats yet it's too cold to be outside with out them for longer than a minute. It's frustrating.

This challenge has been encouraging and we persevere.  Our #4 outside experience was fun.
I found this sack of snakes at a garage sale about 5 years ago and it was the best few dollars I spent that day to be sure.  I decided to hide them for Cali and tell her some simple snake facts.

We don't have to worry about snakes in Alaska. Yeah!  I am not a fan of snakes and I'm grateful I won't be stepping on them as I run through the grass in the summer.


Some snakes like to sun bathe. One might find them lying on rocks by the pond.

Snakes also hide in holes and dark places, like divots in the dirt and grass.

Some snakes live in water, like the slushy areas around the snow where it's finally starting to melt. (not!)
Only in Alaska would your find a coiled snake near the moose poop :-)

Some snakes even live in trees. Keep an eye out over head.

Cali had such a great time doing this. I hid those snakes for her, then she hid them me and then I for her, then her for me and on and on. I did finally convince Cori to go searching one time.

Anyway, I guess the point is, while sometimes the weather is discouraging and sometimes it's cold. Every moment means something and even if it's just a short time spent together outside each day, it's worth it. Consider joining the movement, challenge yourself and get outdoors.

1 comment:

5orangepotatoes said...

Oh you so had me going with that first pic!!!!!!! I thought, "what a gorgeous green snake, but how in the world?"

I LOVE this post. Think I'll snag the snake in a tree pic for my post tomorrow....

lisa