Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Perfect 'Thank You'

While I was in Florida, many of my family cared for Cali while I was busy doing a few necessary things with Kelly. (Scott's family helped so much too but we made these at the last minute and I couldn't get them to them before leaving.)

I have 3 Aunts there as well as my Grandma and I wanted to leave them with a little something to let them know how much I appreciated their help with Cali and all they love they lavished upon her during our visit.

I also wanted to show Kelly a super cute idea for a quickie (and adorable) gift.

I didn't take start to finish pictures but they are super easy to make.
You will need:
A recycled container, dollar store flower pot or vase.
A pile of small pebbles, a bag of beans or I think you could even use a clumping of moss.
A bag of ball point pens (toss the lids)
Inexpensive artificial flowers
A junky pair of strong scissors or better yet, wire cutters
A roll of flower tape or gardeners tape.
clicking on this photo will allow you to see more detail
We snipped the flowers with about 1 1/2 inches of stem attached. Holding the flower as flush as possible with the bottom of the pen, start wrapping the flower stem to the pen with the tape. Continue down the pen until you get to the bottom.

With some of the flowers we kept no leaves attached with others we slid the leaves up and kept them as part of the stem, directly under the flower.

We taped about 5 pens per container. We found bags of small pebbles at the dollar store which worked perfectly. I stuffed some scrunched up plastic grocery bags in the bottom first for filler in the bigger containers.

After finishing, we stuck the pens in the containers and ta-da, simple but totally adorable thank you's.

2 comments:

jennwa said...

Those are beautiful, they are great gifts. I think they would make good teacher gifts.

Thanks for sharing,I love it.

Sherry said...

those would make great gifts, I love pens!! good idea, thank you!