Thursday, February 19, 2009

Pairs~ A Fun Game We Created

At least I think we did. :)
I remember years ago at my bridal shower, my friend Holly had us play a game. When everyone walked in the door, a tag was stuck on their back with a famous wife's name written on it. You could only ask yes or no questions to guess who you were. I 'wink wink' was Princess Diana whom I adored and I guessed it right away.

Anyway, it was a fun game then and I tried to incorporate it into something older elementary kids would like, for Cassi's Valentine party.

Here's what I did.

I cut large hearts out of red and pink paper. I cut each heart in half and wrote a pair on each set. We used chicken and egg, salt and pepper, peanut butter and jelly and so on.

I split her class into two teams (red and pink) with an even number of players on each team. I stuck half a heart on each kids back. Each team had to walk around each other looking at each others tags. Using the words they saw as clues, they had to ask yes or no question to find their pairs.

It was more challenging than one would first expect(but not too much so) as the pairs were not a certainty. If you saw chicken they might ask, "Am I egg?". And even though one person got their answer I might take the other half longer to figure out who they were. Even though they already knew that person was their mate. They might be thinking they were 'bacon'.

Once the pairs figured each other out they had to go to their teams' base. The team to match all their pairs the fastest, won.

I think it turned out well. The teacher even got involved and really enjoyed it. I thought it might be too difficult at one point but they played a second time by switching team colors thereby having different pairs to figure out.

I think you could do this anytime. And if you don't have a older elementary kid who thinks couples are gross, you could do it using famous couples. I wanted to do that but my girl was having none of that!

If you play, let me know how it works out. It really was quite fun!

No comments: