Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cheer-a-licious

That's what Cassi calls herself. It makes me laugh every time I hear it.

I am playing catch-up here by posting this but I have the truest intentions of blurb-ing my blog by year starting someday soon, so I want to post a few things before I get back to our current events.

About 2 weeks ago, we headed out for a road trip to Anchorage. I guess it's not technically what one would envision for a road trip but when we head up north, we always make a party weekend out of it so it's what we call it.

Scott was out of town which always tears my girls up. They hate when he misses a special event. That in turn breaks my heart so I bare the weight (which I admittedly put on myself) of making it extra special.

We were very fortunate to be able to stay at the Norwood abode for which I am always grateful. Not only does is save us from having to stay at a hotel but more importantly, ALL of us never fail to arrive and depart their home feeling most loved! This visit was no exception.

It was horrid traveling- only due to the fact that I hit awful weather through the mountains and my wipers quit working!!! Talk about stress. Regardless, Holly and Rocky met me at the door with a Hornesby's. My favorite. I'm not a big drinker, but after that drive, whew, it was heavenly.

Even though we were spending the weekend there, the main event was only Saturday. We woke up very apprehensive. Well two of us. Cassi has been struggling a bit with owning her round-off, back-handspring, back-tuck. It has been essentially owning her. She is very nervous and can't being herself to throw it with out a spot. At this competition she really had to throw it and nothing less to even be slightly in the running. There were more tears in past weeks over this than I care to remember. She can do it, but talks herself out it. Than it takes days to get going again, it works for a couple days then we start the nervous-to-throw-it pattern all over again.

When we arrived at the competition Cassi was a mess. I was nervous for her, about finding parking, you name it. I had Cori walk her in while Cali and I parked. Cassi was in tears when she left me; I was very worried. Cali however promptly advised me she was very sure of herself and I needn't worry about her! I think she'd over heard too many conversations of "You can do it! Be confident!"

When we got inside Cassi was surrounded by her team and again she was in tears. Everyone wanted to pass on some inspiration and confidence. I could see she was struggling and she told me she wasn't going to throw her tuck. She wasn't even sure she was going to do her routine. I'm not sure whose advice finally pulled her through- mine was to tell everyone she had it. She was good to go, then make the decision as to what she wanted to do when she was backstage. Thereby not answering to anyone. Her coach finally explained to her she had nothing to lose and everything to gain. Jen tells me Cassi's eyes lit up and she agreed. This made sense to her! So-if you have a literal child who often makes things more difficult than necessary, remember this simple piece of advice, it may save you some tears and struggle. :)
Super-awesome confidence-building coaches
Don't they just exude spirit and fun

So after this super long story, what I am trying to convey is how much I love my girls and their sorrows and struggles are very much my own. My heart feels their pains and heartaches in the depths of my soul.

When it came time for Cassi to compete individually I held my breathe, literally. And SHE THREW IT!! I actually turned to my friend Michelle and had to ask if she had really done it. I think I was looking through squinted eyes and wasn't positive. But she did! And it wasn't perfect, but she had nothing to lose. For the simple fact shes overcome her fear, IT WAS PERFECT!

Both her and Cali's team routines went off without a hitch and Cassi's team performed so tight that we were all in awe! They too have struggled a lot this season. To see them perform so well, let's just suffice it to say we were certain wed nailed first place. Finally! It was a long time coming. There is only one gym in our town and it is a small group that participates. We always lose to the big gym in Anchorage.
Cali with the mini team trophy


It was a River City sweep

Not so this time my friends! Both of the girls' teams won 1st place! And the crowd went wild! Not really, but we did! And the girls did! Oh, and Cassi took 7th place. By her reaction, you'd have thought it was 1st- it was just as good for us!
Confident (finally) and proud


After we competed, we had some down time so we walked to the nearby mall. It was a beautiful day and the walk was nice. The mall was great fun. We found a dress for Cassi to wear on her birthday; a tradition that is her own. It is sparkly and wonderful! Grandma had sent Valentine spending money knowing we were headed to Anchorage. Cali used hers to finally buy the coveted zhu-zhu pet. Who hoo!
Woot-Woot, its a zhu-zhu


Walking to the mall


Relaxing with friends


Silliness; much needed


Still in cheer mode


Cheer friends


Cori mostly tagged along but was proud for her sisters. She was a dutiful big sister that day. She was the brick when Cassi needed her to be, the super fan for Cali when she was so excited she could barely contain herself. She was helpful to her momma when there were too many directions to turn. She pulled through in a time of teenage angst when pulling through isn't always the easiest thing to do.

The drive home was fairly uneventful. The weather, although not perfect was bearable with no wipers and we made it home safely to put the truck in the shop-getting it ready for the next road trip.
This is a wonderful picture at an awful angle! uggg!

No comments: